R811 Fall 2019 The World Around Us
Mondays, 2:00–3:30, Sep. 23–Nov. 4
Walker Nature Center, 11450 Glade Dr. Reston, VA 20190
Coordinator: Elizabeth Bolton
Class limit: 32
This course will have various speakers on the natural world: from bees and butterflies to raptors.
- Sept. 23: Nocturnal Neighbors: Fairfax County Wildlife after Dark. Erin Thady and Ethan Chapmon, wildlife biologists, Fairfax County.
- Sept. 30: What’s at the Feeder: Our Local Birds. Abby Stockling, naturalist at the Walker Nature Center.
- Oct. 7: The Flutterbys: Butterflies. Claudia Thompson-Deahl, senior environmental resources manager for Reston Association, Katie Shaw, manager of the Walker Nature Center.
- Oct. 14: Small Jewels: Dragonflies. Don Corum, Fairfax Master Naturalist.
- Oct. 21: The Endangered: Bats. Kristen Sinclair, ecologist with the Fairfax County Park Authority specializing in rare, threatened and endangered species.
- Oct. 28: The Buzz Word: Bees. Brenda Kiessling, master beekeeper, and beekeeper since the 1970s.
- Nov. 4 Town Center Squatters: The Reston Falcons and Other Raptors. Matthew Olear, US Fish and Wildlife volunteer and falcon fan.