F604 Fall 2018 Breath of Heaven: The Poetry and Music of Amy Grant
Thursdays, 9:40–11:05, Sept. 20–Sept. 27
Instructor: Steve Goldman
Amy Grant is well known as a gospel and popular music singer. But Amy Grant is also one of the most important Christian poets of our time. She speaks about complex and sensitive subjects with elegant prose that comes alive in music that can be powerful, haunting, and often sublime. We will explore the multifaceted theological subjects that Amy Grant addresses and how she provides insights and challenging answers to questions that religious communities and other seekers have grappled with for ages. One need not be a Christian to appreciate much of her diverse work, composed over several decades. The instructor will introduce each composition, followed by active class discussion. Topics include:
See F602 for instructor information.
- Mysticism: encountering the divine in daily life.
- Overcoming low self-esteem without becoming self-important.
- Seeking the light in every person through grace and humility.
- Understanding and navigating through the problems of pain and suffering.
- How did it feel to be Mary, mother of Jesus?